1) 500 grams potatoes,
- 2) 250 grams ripe tomatoes,
- 3) 1 tablespoon tomato paste,
- 4) 1 tablespoon panch phoron ( mixture of mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds and nigella seeds)
- 5) Kashmiri red chili powder as per taste. ( As I said, it is made generally hot, hence about 2 tablespoon of chili powder can be used. As we are using Kashmiri chili powder, it will still be moderately hot. You may use any other chili powder. For best results, soak the dry red chilies in water for 15 minutes and then grind them and use that paste in this dish.)
- 6) 2 tablespoon oil ( mustard oil preferred),
- 7) salt to taste.
- To make Nepali dum aalo
- 1) Boil and peel the potatoes. (Remember, they should not be too soft.) And cut into small cubes.
- 2) Finely chop the red tomatoes.
- 3) Heat oil in a pan ( If using mustard oil, heat till it smokes.)
- 4) Add the panch phoron and wait till the seeds crackle.
- 5) Add the tomato pieces and cook till they soften.
- 6) Add the tomato paste and chili powder (or paste) and cook till oil separates.
- 7) Add water and when it boils add the potato pieces and salt. Cook till potato pieces are cooked.
Do not add any other spice. You may add chopped onion, fresh coriander, lime juice etc, if you prefer.