The ingredients are :-
- 6 to 8 Hog Plums ( Ambada, as they are called in Marathi & Hindi)
- 2 cups fresh scrapped coconut.
- 4 to 5 green or red chilies ( The colour of the curry, will depend on choice of chilies.)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds,
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds,
- ½ teaspoon fenugreek seeds or 5/6 curry leaves,
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder,
- ½ teaspoon asafoetida,
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds,
- ½ cup sugar (or as per taste),
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil,
- 1 teaspoon raw rice, washed,
- Salt to taste.
To make the curry :-
- With potato peeler, peel the fruits, keep aside.
- Grind together coconut, chilies, cumin seeds, coriander seeds and rice to a very fine paste.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add fenugreek sees or curry leaves, and fry a little.
- Add mustard seeds, turmeric powder and asafoetida and the plums, and fry for 1 minute.
- Add enough water to cover the plums and bring to boil. Reduce the heat and simmer till the fruits are cooked. (2 to 3 minutes).
- Add the coconut paste, salt & sugar to taste and warm the curry. Do not boil too much.