- A) for kofta
1) ½ kg spinach leaves (stems removed),
2) 1 ½ cup gram flour,
3) 1 tablespoon oil,
4) ½ teaspoon each, cumin seeds, asafoetida and turmeric powder,
5) 2 green chilies,
6) ½ cup milk,
7) ½ inch ginger, sliced.
8) salt to taste. (you can also use little stuffing for these koftas, if you prefer. You can chop some cashew nuts and raisins, about 3 tablespoons for the stuffing.)
- B) for the curry
1) ½ kilo green (raw) tomatoes, chopped,
2) 2/3 green chilies, ( more or less, as per choice).
3) 5/6 garlic pods,
4) 1 tablespoon sesame seeds,
5) 1 tablespoon roasted peanuts,
6) ½ cup chopped coriander leaves,
7) salt to taste.
8) 1 teaspoon sugar.
- 1) Grind together the spinach leaves, milk, 2 green chilies and ginger in mixer.
- 2) Heat some oil in a pan and add cumin seeds, asafoetida and turmeric powder.
- 3) Add the gram flour and roast slightly, till the raw smell goes away.
- 4) Add salt and then the spinach mixture. Mix very well.
- 5) Cook on a low flame, till it is cooked and forms a ball.
- 6) Remove from it and cool it.
- 7) Shape in lemon size balls. If you are using stuffing, stuff them now.
- 8) In another pan, heat some oil and add the remaining green chilies and garlic.
- 9) Add sesame seeds and when the pop up add chopped tomatoes,
- 10) Cook on high heat till oil separates.
- 11) After the tomatoes are cooked add the chopped coriander leaves and remove from heat.
- 12) Add salt and sugar and blend to a smooth paste.
- 13) Just before serving, heat some oil in a plan and roast the koftas on low heat, handle them carefully and do not break them. Take out the koftas in dish.
- 14) In the same pan add the curry and heat thoroughly.
- 15) In serving bowl, take some curry and top with few koftas. Garnish with fried red chili, coriander and roasted sesame seeds, if you wish.
- 16) Do not heat the curry and koftas together, they will break.