IngredientsWhat you need :-
- 1) ½ kilo cabbage, finely chopped,
- 2) Salt to taste,
- 3) Chili powder, 1 teaspoon or as per taste,
- 4) 1 teaspoon turmeric powder,
- 5) 1 teaspoon asafetida,
- 6) 3 / 4 green chilies and ½ inch ginger, ground together ( you may add 3 / 4 pods of garlic, if you wish ),
- 7) 1 tablespoon cumin + coriander powder (better, if made fresh and if making fresh add little saunf also to it.)
- 8) 1 teaspoon sugar,
- 9) ½ cup coconut milk + ½ teaspoon tamarind paste ( ½ buttermilk can be used as a substitute ),
- 10) 2 tablespoon rice flour,
- 11) 1 to 1 ½ cup besan ( chickpea flour ),
- 12) 2 tablespoon oil,
- These are basic ingredients, If you wish to tamper the pieces you may need additional oil, sesame seeds, green chili pieces, mustard seeds, asafetida etc
To make bhanole
- 1) In a large bowl, mix all ingredients from cabbage to rice flour.
- 2) Crush the cabbage a little and mix well with other ingredients.
- 3) Add the besan ( chickpea flour ) slowly, and mix well.
- 4) Add oil and 3 tablespoon water, cover the bowl and let it stand for 10 to 15 minutes.
- 5) There are two ways to cook the Bhanole. You can either steam it or cook on slow flame. I prefer the second method. In case you wish to steam it, put it in the separator of pressure cooker and cook in pressure cooker for about 15 to 20 minutes without putting the vent weight. Remove from cooker, let it cool completely. Then cut into cubes. These cubes can be eaten as they are or you can make a tamper by heating little oil and then adding asafetida, mustard seeds, sesame seeds, green chilies and these pieces to it.
- 5) Take a non stick pan, and pour this mixture in it. Put the plan on very low flame and cook till the tooth pick inserted in it, comes out clean ( 20/25 minutes ) If you wish you can turn the pan into another pan and brown on the top side too. This way the Bhanole tastes better.
For presentation sake, I have poured tamper of red chilies and sesame seeds on the pieces. This is optional.