What you require –
- 1) Half kilo brinjals (the one which we use for making bharata. Select large sized and ones with shine ),
- 2)2 large onions, finely chopped ,
- 3)2 red tomatoes, finely chopped, ( you may use 1 tin of chopped tomatoes, for better flavor ),
- 4) 1 cup oil ( yes, that much is required ),
- 5) 1 teaspoon red chili powder ,
- 6) 1 teaspoon turmeric powder ,
- 7) salt to taste,
- 8) 2 tablespoon vinegar ( any variety will do ),
- 9) 1 teaspoon sugar ,
- 10) ½ cup fresh coriander ,
- 11) 6/7 green chilies ( more or less, as per taste )
To proceed –
- 1) Peel the brinjals and make slices of 1 cm thickness ( most of the European dishes call for applying salt to such slices and then draining the liquid. For this dish, this process is not necessary, but if you wish, you can do it. )
- 2) Put about 2 tablespoon oil in a pan and keep it on medium flame, put the slices in single layer. Cook till they turn golden on both sides. These slices seem to absorb all the oil, hence you need to keep on adding oil, as and when required. You need to fry them in 2/3 batches. Once they are done, remove them in a dish and press them with a spatula. They will release lot of oil, which you can return to the pan, for frying next batch of slices.
- 3) After all slices are done, add chopped onion to the pan and fry till it turns pink. ( do not brown. )
- 4) Add chopped tomatoes and cook on high heat.
- 5) Add chili powder and turmeric powder.
- 6) Add mashed brinjal slices and mix very well.
- 7) Add salt and vinegar and when the mixture starts bubbling add the sugar.
- 8) Reduce the heat and simmer till the oil shows on the sides of the pan (5/10 minutes ) keep on stirring occasionally.
- 9) Remove from heat and let it cool completely and then add finely chopped fresh coriander and green chilies.
- This would taste better the next day when all the flavors are infused. It can be kept in the refrigerator for 5/6 days. Tastes great with pita bread. Vinegar and sugar should not be avoided. I have tried grilling the slices, to save the oil. It works but then it does not taste the same.