- 1) One cup moong dal,
- 2) ¼ cup urad dal,
- 3) ¼ cup rice flour,
- 4) 2 cups butter milk (should not be too sweet),
- 5) Salt to taste,
- 6) Oil, as required
- 7) For tampering ( Pinch of asafetida, ½ teaspoon each mustard seeds, cumin seeds and sesame seeds)
- 8) For topping – chopped coriander, green chilies, lime juice and fine sev.
1) Grind the moong daal and urad dal in mixer coarsely.
2) Take the ground daals in a bowl, add the rice flour to it and add the buttermilk
3) Mix it well, you may have to add some water to get a consistency like idli batter.
4) If possible leave it overnight or at least 2 to 4 hours.
5) Grease a separator of pressure cooker with little oil and pour this mixture.
6) Steam in a pressure cooker for 20 to 25 minutes, without putting the vent weight (whistle).
7) Remove from the cooker and let it cool completely.
8) Break it into small pieces as shown in photograph.
9) Heat some oil and add a pinch of asafetida, ½ teaspoon each mustard seeds, cumin seeds and sesame seeds, when they splutter, remove from fire and add 1 tablespoon water to it.
10) Pour the tampering on the cooked mixture and mix with a fork.
11) Top it with chopped coriander, green chilies, lime juice and fine sev.
If you wish you can add ½ teaspoon turmeric powder and ½ teaspoon sugar to the batter.
If you are not able to keep the batter for required time, you can add little fruit salt, just before steaming.